Friday, August 28, 2009

Mt. Dickerman

Last Monday Ben, Erik and I (Ken in case you didn't figure that out and don't look farther below) went on a long walk. We made our way up Mt. Dickerman. Mt. Dickerman is a 8.5 mile hike with an elevation gain of 3900 feet. It is located about 20 min. past Granite Falls. The photo above is from the trail on the first two miles. The first two miles are switch backs through a fairly thick forest so views are limited. Once you finish those fun switchbacks you come across many a happy meadow. In these meadows we found lots and lots of delicious wild blueberries.

Here Erik and Ben show us how happy they are to be emerging from the forest and switchbacks.
This spot was very beautiful large green meadow where we took a little time to run, jump, eat berries and sing The Hills Are Alive. So yes for a fleeting moment the hills were alive with the sound of music.
Hiking this trail became slow do to the many tiny voices of the blueberries that lined the trail saying, "I want to go to the party in your tummy!"
This is where Erik was eating so many berries that Ben and I had to run ahead to get some before he had a chance to eat those ones too! You can see Erik on the trail if you look hard.
Finally we made it to the top. First car in the parking lot and thankfully first folks to the top!
We took some time to eat something other than berries on the top and enjoy the view.
We also tried not to fall off the edge as you can see if we did we would have screamed for a bit. Oh and I believe that is Mt. Baker in the distance. The view in every direction from the top was mountains mountains mountains. You really feel like you are out on the edge of nowhere. Unlike some of the hikes off of I-90 you don't have any freeway noise. Up here it is down right peaceful.
Here I am as proof that I made it. Yes mom the edge is behind me and yes it would be a terrible fall to my death. But it looks closer than it really was. Oh and an elderly man I talked to on the top told me it would not be a very glorious death to die on Mt. Dickerman. So I asure you I was careful.
Ben on the other hand was not so careful...
He didn't really step off down there. It just looked like he was going to, relax. Anyway, it was a great hike with a couple of great guys. I recommend it to anyone who feels up to it. Make sure you bring sturdy shoes and plenty of water. The only water we found on the trail was a very small pool in some rocks feed by who knows where. Next time we will bring the women folk as we missed them something fierce.

No comments:

Post a Comment